Friday, August 29, 2008

the morning quiet...

ahhh....one of my favorite things to do is get up a little early and "tinker" around the house (I sound like a little old grandpa) when it is totally quiet. This morning, after shopping online for some halloween costumes (I think we are going Minnie and Mickey Mouse this year-you know how I love themes!), I think I may just try to update our blog.

So much has been going on, as usual, most of my online friends have probably already heard about Avery breaking her elbow, but I wanted to journal about it for posterity's sake. She broke it on friday august 15 at the sitter's house. She was just running and tripped over nothing and caught herself with her left arm straight in front of her. The sitter thought it was just sore b/c there really wasn't any obvious swelling. But when we picked her up we knew something was up. We had to take her to Urgent Care b/c it was after 5pm and they did a bunch of xrays and then wrapped it in a splint and told us it may be broken or maybe just dislocated. We were praying for the dislocated part :) But lo and behold the specialist we went to on Tuesday told us it was indeed broken...called a Supracondylar break (for anyone interested) and we saw her xrays-it pretty much looked like a line all the way across the bottom of her bone. So now she has a beautiful bright pink cast that has already developed quite a STENCH (EWWW!) I have been trying to keep it clean, but she is into dirt...like it is her favorite thing toy to play with right now :) Not to mention the cast goes all the way to her fingers and she is still using those fingers to eat with...you can imagine how lovely it smells, right?



In other news, Xander started preschool this week. I know it isn't really that big of a deal. He is only going 2 days a week, but something about it just seems so grown up. I will admit that I did start crying while getting him dressed in the morning before his first day. He was just acting so excited and grown up. No whining or being uncooperative like on other days when I wake him up early. He was just so full of cute questions and fears/anxiety. I kept thinking how before I know it he will be going to Kindergarten and then POOF! starting high school. Anyway, so far he is doing great...a little hesitant to leave me at first but when mark picked him up at the end of the day he didn't want to leave. The second day he didn't even say goodbye to me, just ran over to the other kids. He really loves it and tells us more about what he ate and how he climbed on a giant tire than about what he is learning. I have a feeling that right now they are just getting all the new children comfortable with each other.

Today we are getting ready for our annual camping trip! I'm not sure how the whole sleeping in a tent thing is going to go. We may just end up taking Avery back to my parents house (which isnt' too far) to sleep in a bed there. However Xander seems really excited to sleep in a tent so I feel kind of guilty not letting him at least one night. We'll see how it goes. We are also taking Lucy (our puppy) and I am NOT excited about letting her sleep with us. Maybe I can convince my mom to let her sleep in her camper with her? She is such a dog lover....much more than me :)
Anyway, I guess my quiet time is coming to an end...until next time :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never a dull moment at the Christian house! How exciting to have a preschooler! I can't wait but I know I'm miss him! Hope Avery heals well (and quick)!